GSoC Status Update – Week 11 & 1209 Sep 2013
This is a status update for my Google Summer of Code 2013 project - implementing advanced statistics importers for Amarok. Please read the first post if you would like to know more about the project.
Last week I asked my mentor if I could skip that week's report and make the next one (i.e. this one) a double one instead. The reason for this was that I was working almost exclusively on tests, and tests more often than not make for a dull post.
Well, after two weeks I have even more tests. I'd go as far as to say that things are satisfyingly tested.
I made a base test suite that relies on convention; importers are expected to have tracks with certain metadata in their databases, and then tests make sure that this data is imported correctly. Tracks with the right metadata are pre- created and stored in the source tree so creating a test database is a matter of adding them to media player's collection.
There isn't much more to tests that's interesting, so let's skip to the next topic. GSoC 2013 is in the homestretch. September 16 is "soft pencils-down" and September 23 a "hard pencils-down" date. We're expected to have all the code done on September 16, and to spend the following week on documentation. Having that in mind, this is my much-more-detailed-than-usual plan for this week:
- Monday Amarok 2.x importer two-way synchronization (done)
- Tuesday FastForward importer two-way synchronization
- Wednesday Banshee & Clementine importers two-way synchronization
- Thursday Rhythmbox importer two-way synchronization
- Friday iTunes importer two-way synchronization1
- weekend more tests! Supplement existing test suites.
Since I've been documenting as I went, the week between September 16 and 23 will be devoted to small bugfixes, design tweaks, typo fixes. Also that's the week where I remove old media-player importing capabilities and take a minute or two to celebrate.
As always, you can check out my progress on my public Amarok clone. The branch
Thanks for reading!
iTunes database will then have to be imported back into iTunes. But hey, it's synchronization. Kind of. ↩